Saturday, March 9, 2019

Daylight Savings Time

I'm a bit of an agnostic when it comes to DST. I'd probably, if I were in charge, have it in the winter so the days wouldn't end so early.

But Bern hates it.

She gets up earlier than me, so it won't be as bright as usual for a couple of months. And she worries about the lost sleep side effects.

They do it in most of Europe and in some of the southern most countries in South America and in one province of Australia (in the southern hemisphere 'summer' in the last two). But there are some states that don't do it and most of Africa never has.

There are vast areas of Asia that tried it and stopped.

George Hudson, from New Zealand (which uses it--in their summer, our winter) introduced the concept in 1895.

Ben Franklin had toyed with time change but never endorsed it.

There's a fascinating history of DST and lots of disagreement on its value and drawbacks (Bern is far from being the only opponent!).

Look it up and read about the history if you're interested.

All I know--agnostic as I am about it--is that it starts at 2 a.m. tomorrow. Just as the snow is about to begin here.

We're not setting back the clocks tonight to give us the illusion that nothing is changing.

And, because of the weather forecast, St. James has cancelled church tomorrow. It usually starts at 9 a.m. and is 40 minutes away so I would have had to get up at 7 (6 the time it is tonight) which I don't do well. So, I won't set the alarm and will deal with DST tomorrow.

Best to you as time becomes relative....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.