So, I preached the sermon I posted yesterday today. I wasn't sure I would, but on the way there (having brought the text) I decided.
One good thing about being a priest in 3 churches that are all 20 minutes and more away is you get time to think on Sunday morning!
There were less than 20 people there and at least half of them thanked me for the sermon--above average--and several of the thanks involved hugs....
I never intended to be an Episcopal priest--not by a long shot. And I've often thought over the years that 'if I had it to do again' I'd do what I intended, gotten a Ph.D. in American Literature and taught in some small, private college and written the Great American Novel.
But when half the people who hear a sermon thank you for it--five with hugs and one saying, "you gave me back my faith"--then I know why I do this.
And, given another chance, I would love to take another path, have a different career, on days like today I realize that maybe, just maybe, this is what I was 'meant' to do in some way larger than myself.
I'm not sure. But it felt like that today. I didn't move the multitudes, but I was told I gave someone 'back their faith". What matters as much as that?
I wish I had that Nobel Prize for Literature though....
- ► 2017 (168)
- 1970 in review (one event a month)
- Gene Wilder, please rest in peace
- Ready to have it over....
- weird dreams
- I'll never drive to NYC again
- Something to spend some time on....
- First post
- first time in all these years....
- Going to see Ellie
- Something Bela won't eat...and First Cousins....
- I don't tweet
- 6 years later
- Rules vs. Healing
- dimples, who can resist them?
- Just when....
- Blessed beyond believing
- Home at last...
- Home tomorrow, maybe
- My boy's birthday
- 400th post one more time
- Heat, cold and the social order of Cheshire
- 8/11/16--Happy Natal Day, Ellie
- my favorite button
- Good times
- Waiting still...
- Speaking of priesthood....
- From paper to possibility
- The Readings for tomorrow
- White Trash
- OK, OK...
- Just wondering about conversation
- Back home...
- The mind of a Puli
- Waiting for Ellie
- ▼ August (34)
- ► 2015 (341)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)