Tuesday, August 2, 2016

The mind of a Puli

Bela, our Puli dog, won't go down the back stairs anymore. I just don't get it.

For 10 years he's gone down the back stairs just fine. Those stairs are carpeted and have a turn in them and should be much easier to go down than the front stairs--bare wood and straight down. In fact he often slips going down the front stairs but never did on the back ones.

Before our cat, Luke, died, I used the think I'd like to be in Bela's brain for a while but never Lukie's. The brain of a cat, I imagine, is such a complex labyrinth that you could never escape. But a Puli brain, that I thought would be simple--food, pet, bark, poop, pee, sleep. Nothing more complicated than that.

But, I can't for the life of me fathom why he should, all of a sudden, decide he won't go down the back stairs. I've tried to force him several time to no avail. He just won't, for reasons only he knows.

Why would a dog like Bela, a creature entirely dependent on 'habit' and 'routine'--up and out to bathroom/eat/out again to bathroom and walk/sleep/bark/sleep/follow me everywhere/sleep/eat/out to bathroom/sleep and hang out/one last pee/sleep for the night--change his mind about going down stairs which, to my knowledge, have never caused him any problems?

So, I'm no longer sure I'd like to hang out for a while in his brain.

Who knows what I'd stop doing that I have always done?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.