Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Great line

I just watched Rev. Nadia Bolz-Webber on Huffington Post at a event for women.

She is a minister who wore a tank top revealing all the tattoos on her arms and a great necklace tattooed around her neck. She is asking Evangelical women to send her their 'purity rings'--given to them when they  promised not to have sex until marriage--so she can melt them down and craft a golden vagina out of them. She sees the "purity rites" of many evangelical churches as a way of shaming women about their bodies.

She has a valid point.

But she had a great line that I will use over and again. She was in a conference with many very successful and prominent women and she wondered if she should change her life and become like them.

Then she said, "but then I realized I have a graduate degree from a seminary, which is like a degree from Hogworts--it's not much use in the world, but you know the magic."

I have 3, count 'em, post-graduate degrees: a Master of Theological Studies from Harvard, a Master of Divinity from Virginia Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry from Hartford Seminary.

I can honestly say I am 'the Rev. Dr. Jim Bradley'.

And all those degrees are like degrees from Hogwarts.

Outside the church, they have little meaning.

But I 'do know the magic'.

Thank you Nadia, for that great line....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.