Tuesday, April 21, 2015

crickets

The crickets are out big time tonight. Oh, not outside, but in my head.

I have a serious case of tinnitus that, lucky for me, sounds like crickets. Lucky for me since who doesn't love the sound of crickets?

And tonight they are really singing.

I know what stops it--certain notes from a pipe organ will. When I was at St. John's in Waterbury and the magnificent McManis organ was being tuned, I'd go into the sanctuary and sit until the crickets went away for a while.

And riding in an airplane takes them away for as long as the trip lasts.

And I know it has something to do with atmospheric pressure since some days leave me cricket-less and others don't, but I haven't figured out whether it is low or high pressure that does that.

Like I said, I'm lucky the sound between my ears sounds like crickets. It could, I suspect, be very annoying to have some other sound in your head.

I just know this: tonight the crickets are singing loud and long.

Sometimes I can hold my nose and blow and be cricket free for a while. But not tonight.

But it's crickets, for goodness sake. Who wouldn't be glad to have that sound follow them around in life inside their head?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.