Thursday, April 23, 2015

Looking at photos

My hair is completely brown, as completely gray and white as it is now.

Lots of people in the photos are dead now, and I buried most of them.

I found a bunch of pictures of my installation as Rector of St. John's in Waterbury in 1989.

26 years ago now and a lifetime ago.

So many people in these pictures are dead now.

I suppose I'll be in pictures people look at after I'm dead, as well.

How odd. Caught in the moment, alive. Viewed decades later and dead.

And I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now (in spite of my gray/white hair).

If I could go back to that moment, knowing what I know now, being who I am now as opposed to then--Lordy, Lordy, what a difference I could make.

Time travel hasn't yet been invented. But if it were, I'd go back there and be a better priest and a better husband and better father and better man.

Too bad, it seems, that finding your 'better self' comes after the fact.

I am so much more "who I am" now than I was then.

Thus it is, I suppose.

And I admire my 26 years ago brown hair a bit too much.

That way is vanity, I suspect.

Humility may just be knowing you're smarter now than you were in the past and can't do a damn thing to convey that wisdom backwards to when you needed it.

Something like that, if that makes any sense at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.