Sunday, July 26, 2020

What I suck at

(link to my youtube blog)

All opinions here are mine and mine alone.

I'm really terrible at foreign languages.

I graduated from college Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude (I swear I did). Even though I got two C's in my two years of German. 

At Harvard I did well in the first year of Greek (it was koina Greek--the Greek of the streets and the new testament) but in my second year I took Classical Greek and couldn't manage all the declensions. 

I barely speak English well, what with my Appalachian accent and all, so I just can't manage other languages.

I did meet Bern, my wife, in Latin class in high school. I was considering applying to a college (Shimmer) that required a year of foreign language. I didn't apply there but Latin gave me the love of my life. (I was a senior and she was a freshman). Cradle robber, I know....

I'm not sure why I suck at foreign languages, but I do.

When the Latino congregation at St. John's in Waterbury was growing, the bishop wanted me to go to an intensive Spanish language program.

Armando Gonzalez, the Spanish priest, intervened and told the bishop he wanted the congregation to learn English and would need to so they could talk with me.

I have thanked him in my heart ever since.

I just don't do languages.

And in spite of my academic pedigree, I know that makes me look stupid.

So be it.

I suck at languages.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.