Friday, February 8, 2019

R.I.P.--Albert Finney and our youth....

When we heard that Albert Finney had died today, Bern said, sadly, "it feels like the death of our youth."

As soon as she said it, I felt the same way.

Bern and I never had "our song" the way many couples did--but we had 'our movie'. It was Two for the Road, starring Aubrey Hepburn and Albert Finney.

We saw it in 1967--Bern was 17 and I was 20. We'd been dating for over two years and were three years from marriage.

We loved the movie. Talked about it endlessly. Saw it as 'our' adventure--driving away, falling in love.

Years later we got a Puli, born in Hungary, whose registered name was Templomkerti Palac Suba. We named him "Finney".

Funny, I hadn't thought of that movie in years and had half forgotten the title. But everytime, after that, when I saw Albert Finney on screen, I had a flash back.

Rest in Peace, dear Albert.

And thanks for the memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.