Saturday, February 16, 2019

Bishop weary

Last Sunday I hosted a bishop at St. James. Very pleasant, but a bishop, none the less.

Today I spent 3 hours with a bishop and will again tomorrow hosting one at St. Andrew's.

Bishops are all well and good and a vital part of Episcopal polity.

And they are exhausting.

They remind me, in spite of my day to day experience as a priest, that I do have a 'boss'.

I told my cousin on the phone the other night that, "I've never had a boss."

Most of the time that's true. But being around bishops reminds me it's not true, really.

I try to stay out of their way. I like it when I have the illusion that there's no bishop around.

But being with them--whew! Really hard work.

I've served under nine bishops, all told. And I've liked them all--more or less. But I prefer the illusion that they're in some office somewhere and I'm on my own.

I'll be really bishop weary after tomorrow.

Bishops are like vacation spots--a nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.