Sunday, January 27, 2019

Kierkegaard's no fool

A quote from my quote box by Soren Kierkegaard:

"Repetition is reality, and it is the seriousness of life...repetition is the daily bread which satisfies with benediction."

Think about the things you do every single day: brush your teeth, wash your face, cook something to eat, go to the bathroom, daydream, sleep, put stuff away, take stuff out from where you put it away, walk, talk, breathe, blink, straighten things up, mess up things you then need to straighten up, listen, think....

Repetition is reality!

When something unusual happens--hearing from an old friend, getting an unexpected check (or bill!), something wrong with your health, having an accident, tripping and falling down, almost being hit by a car as you cross a street, going to a new movie, hearing good (or bad) news about someone you care about, having the electricity go off, buying something you've wanted for a long time, on and on, stuff like that--you have something new to talk about.

New stuff happens, but repetition is always there. I just rinsed off the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. I do that all the time. I'm writing on my blog (which I plan to do every day now, in spite of the president), NPR is on the radio downstairs and in my car whenever I turn the motor on, night has fallen, the dog will need to go out in half-an-hour, then I'll read and go to bed....

Those are the things that are the 'daily bread which satisfies with benediction'.

I often tell people I don't know what it means to be 'bored'.

I've always thought it was because I was an only child of older parents and learned to entertain myself.

But Kierkegaard might be right--I find the seriousness of life in repetition.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.