Thursday, January 17, 2019

OK, I know....

I realized I haven't been writing much here under the Castor oil tree lately when I found myself last night searching my files of writings for something to post.

Then I realized why I haven't been writing.

I am finally in Trump-Funk big time.

The shutdown and almost hourly lies have finally driven me into a form of mild depression that keeps me from writing.

And I am not a depressive person. I am your best 'glass half full' or 'full glass just looks half full' guy.

Often in my life as a full time priest I would listen to folks sit in my office and talk about their depression. I agreed to listen twice to all that, but since I've never been depressed and am not a trained psychologist, on the second visit I would give them three names of psychologists I trusted. Many thanked me later. Unlike some ministers I've known, I am clear about my limitations. I know to 'refer quickly' when the problem is out of my league. I believe religious clerics are 'generalists' and have no business--unless they have training in psychology--dealing with any psychological problem.

Two years of this president has worn me down, little by little.

I think that's my problem--and probably the problem of many others: every day brings a couple new outrageous tweeted insults to his opponents and outright lies, it's hard to get outraged over and again.

I'm suffering from 'outrage overload'--the Trump-Funk.

So, I'm going to force myself to write here every day. I'll try not to focus on my daily outrage--though that would be therapeutic for me--but I can't guarantee you that.

Maybe I'll go back to my Mastery Foundation quote box and let them inspire me to higher ground.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.