Friday, April 16, 2021

Birthday boy

Tomorrow is my 74th birthday.

In my youth I couldn't imagine living this long.

How did the song go?

    "Live fast/ Love Hard, Die young and leave a beautiful memory." 

My mother died at 63, when I was in my early 20's. Our children are both over 40 and I'm still here!

My dad made it to 83--though he mourned my mother greatly from her death until his. He was always a worrier and it got worse every year he lived.

I've tried to live 'in the moment' for most of my life--longing neither for the past or the future.

I've had a beautiful life, really. Ups and downs for sure--but in the main, really lovely.

Every morning when I wake I thank God for one more day of living.

I love living and thinking and pondering and loving and being loved.

Bern has been in my life since she was 14 and I was 17. Last year was our 50th anniversary. Not bad, all considered--in fact, like my life--'beautiful'.

I have had more joy and wonder than I perhaps deserved. Two incredible children and 4 wonderful granddaughter. And I'm thankful for every moment I've lived.

But I'm at an age where I will ponder things even more--which means, I suppose, I'll keep writing 'Under the Castor Oil Tree' for as long as I can.

I still--elderly as I am--have lots more to share with you.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.