Friday, April 16, 2021

I do not own a gun

I never have and never will.

When I moved my father from WV to CT, one of the first things I did was take his revolver and rifle and turned them over to the New Haven police.

And here is the primary reason I'll never own a gun: I wouldn't trust myself with it.

And if someone like me--a law-abiding (well, a couple of speeding tickets along the way), middle-class, anti-violence person--doesn't trust himself with a gun, why should we trust so many people with them?

Obviously, I can't speak for responsible gun owners, but I don't know how anyone can oppose limitations on guns in the US.

There have been 46 mass shootings in the past month--well over 100 this year. Guns are a danger to our national  life and our very lives as well.

No other country has this problem. No where in the world are guns used to take life they way they are here.

We need to wake up and take serious action to keep guns out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them.

But the gun lobby is strong, even though the NRA has problems of it's own creation. Many politicians are hesitant to take the action that is needed to end 'this national embarrassment', as President Biden called it today.

Do what you can to support reasonable gun laws that will keep them out of hands that can't be trusted to hold them.

It IS as if our lives depended on it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.