Thursday, April 8, 2021

I can't wait...

Probably not during my lifetime, but surely during my two children's, white people won't be in the majority in this country.

Blacks, Hispanics and Asians continue to come more than Europeans and have larger families than white folks.

The recent attacks on Asian-Americans, the hundreds of years of slavery, Jim Crow and segregation, the constant abuse of Hispanics crossing our southern boarder--all that will, someday, become a thing of the past because white people will not be the majority of Americans.

My three grand-daughters in Baltimore are half-Asian, their mother is a first generation of American born from Taiwanese immigrants. I fear for their other grand-parents and my daughter-in-law and them.

The first church I served was African-American and the next two had large Black membership. I grieve for them and all who have suffered from racial prejudice.

St. John's in Waterbury had such a large Hispanic membership we had a Hispanic priest to assist me.

I grew up in segregated southern West Virginia, but the rest of my life has given me insight into the results of prejudice.

The Senior Warden of my first church--who was a Colonel in the Army--traveled with a turban in his car when he visited the southern states, so he could be sure to get a room in a motel.

Our history is full of bigotry and prejudice and hate crimes and worse.

It must stop.

It must stop.

If only a change in the population will do that, I can't wait....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.