Friday, April 23, 2021

Pondering

 I ponder a lot.

Here's a dictionary definition: Ponder V--To think about something carefully, especially before making a decision or reaching a conclusion.

Lately, I've been pondering systematic racism. I grew up in a segregated county in southern West Virginia. I had no black students in school with me until my senior year of high school.

My first parish was a black parish in Charleston, West Virginia. They taught me a lot and well about racism.

My parishes in New Haven and in Waterbury had many black members and they continued my education.

The killing of black and brown people by the police is part of systemic racism. Housing in this country is as well. Income inequality is as well. Education inequity is as well. Voting laws in Georgia and many other states is as well.

We have to see that 'racism' is part of our 'system'.

The recent hate against Asians--which is my daughter-in-law and my three bi-racial grand-daughters is as well.

We all need to 'ponder', think about carefully, how 'racism' is a part of our country's life, bred in the bone, as it were.

Ponder all that--and reach a conclusion that systemic racism must be stopped.

Then do all you can to stop it.

That's what I urge you to do.

And I will as well.

Shalom.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.