Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Bible Stiudy (part 2)

 So we met today--only 4 of us, it's summer after all.

And we never got to actual 'study' of the Gnostic Gospels.

We had communion and then talked about my idea to have lay folks do the healing service. Why not? We let lay folks administer the chalice and take communion to folks who are stuck at home.

The bread and wine are blessed, so they can do it.

I think it might be against church law--but why not try and tell the Bishop "I'm sorry" when he or she tells me to stop.

But there were concerns because lay folks aren't under the rule of secrecy that priests are.

Anything a lay person tells me in private stays secret, it's part of my vows.

You could tell me you robbed a bank and when the cops came I would tell them what you told me was between you and me.

I would refuse to testify against you.

So, if you told someone anointing you for healing that you had a disease from an out of wedlock sexual encounter and wanted to be healed, a priest couldn't tell your spouse but a lay person could.

So, I get it.

We'll have healing Sunday but I'll do the oil.

We'll talk about lay people doing it later....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.