Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Eighth 'open letter' to my granddaughters

Dear Emma, Morgan, Tegan and little Ellie,

Don't look now, my loves, but your country is in chaos.

I say 'your' instead of 'our' because you're going to live here a lot longer than I am and if things don't get turned around fast, you will suffer much more than me.

We have no National Security Advisor, the person charged with briefing the President every single day about threats around the world.

Two Cabinet nominees have withdrawn for various scandals and several who should have been denied office got through with Republican votes only.

Lying (excuse me: 'alternative facts') seems to have become the administrations main mode of communicating (illegal voters bused to New Hampshire, 'the President supports Flynn 100%', Norstrum's is being political for refusing to stock stuff that isn't selling--this is a capitalist society, after all...it doesn't sell, don't stock it!, 'leaks' and the crooked media are the problem...not dishonesty, Russia is our 'friend' and NATO may be passe.....On and on it goes, my loves. No end in sight.

Here's what you need to remember: a free press is our last defense against dishonesty in government and Trump obviously knows that because he and his minions are unrelenting on calling "subversive" groups like CNN, The Washington Post and the New York Times "fake news".

Another thing to remember: the US is of the people, for the people, by the people. We are the people. We do have the power to act even in dark times like these. None of you can vote or organize or protest yet--but you're grandma and I will do it in your place...and FOR you.

All is not lost. Hope conquers Fear. Love conquers Hate and Unity overcomes Division.

I pray devoutly that all this mess will ultimately make our country stronger, safer, freer, more diverse, more tolerant, more inclusive and you--not me--will live out your lives in that country.

That is my prayer for our country and for you, apples of my eye.

Love you so, Granpa.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.