Tuesday, February 14, 2017

They'll break your heart....

I am one of the biggest of all the big West Virginia University sports fans.

My time there was wondrous (1965-69 if you wondered--majoring in English and minoring in Political Science). Bern was there for my senior year as a freshman, so that was wondrous too after three years of mostly being apart.

Bern and I went to three, I think, WVU bowl games. They won them all.

But the Mountaineers will break your heart.

That's what Bern says every time they come up short. "They'll break your heart."

West Virginia doesn't get top 100 recruits in basketball or football and they play in a conference (The Big Twelve) with teams like Texas and Kansas and Oklahoma who do get those high school super stars. But they hold their own with the second choices. I admire their coaches for that.

But last night, they broke my heart. Bern went to bed at half-time of the Kansas/WVU basketball game. Kansas in #3 in the nation and WVU is #9--what I mean by 'holding their own'--and WVU beat Kansas in Morgantown already.

With 2:45 to go in the game WVU led by 14. I almost woke Bern up to come watch the triumph of the 'second choices' over the McDonald's All-Americans.

Glad I didn't.

Kansas came back to tie the game and send it into overtime where they won by 4.

They'll break your heart, it's true.

But I love those Mounties....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.