Sunday, February 26, 2017

Transfiguration, after my sermon

Stuff shows up for me in my sermons, after hearing the lessons read, that I hadn't thought of before.

What showed up today is that the God of Jews and Christians and Muslims is a 'sky god'.

Every reading today talked about mountain tops, where you have to go to meet a sky god.

Many ancient religions and some contemporary faiths believe in 'earth gods'. Gods beneath our feet, emerging from the vitality and fecundity of the soil, of humus, of dirt.

A lot to be said for that.

"Sky gods" are removed, distant, only met and encountered on mountain tops and in the clouds there.

"Earth gods" are imminent, near, real, touchable, on our level.

I am a Christian and, I suspect will be until I die.

But, by gum, I like the Earth God, the Mother of us all, where we spring from and go to--'humus' after all, is the root word of 'human'. Ashes to ashes and dust to dust. The earth is 'us'.

Ponder that.

Where do you want God to be--on the mountains tops, in the sky, distant, mysterious?

Or beneath our feet, in the earth, touchable, well known, 'right here'?

Something worth pondering well, whatever faith or creed or belief or hope you cling to.

I recommend  serious 'sky god'/'earth god' pondering.

And you're welcome for the invitation.

Something to make us grow and wonder about.

Always a good thing--growing and wondering about....




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.