Monday, February 13, 2017

feeling like an idiot

So, today I'm feeling like an idiot because of my right knee and my computer.

(There are other reasons on other days that I feel like an idiot. {Is it politically incorrect to use the term 'idiot' when referring to yourself? Should I say 'somehow mentally challenged' instead?} But today it is my right knee and my computer engendering the feeling of somehow mentally challenged-idiocy.)

My knee, you know if you read my whining posts at all, was operated on by Dr. Shai, an orthopedist I would recommend highly, on September 28. He reattached by totally ruptured quad muscle (your big thigh muscle) to my knee in ways I neither understand or want to! Here we are, going on five months later and I still feel like I have a big (I mean 'big'--two inches wide) rubber band around the top of my knee. He's told me I would probably have to do something really, really stupid to re-tear the muscle at this stage in the recovery. He also told me it would be 'at least' six or seven months before I felt normal in my knee.

But the thing is, with snow and ice on the ground, I feel like an idiot walking. I'm walking like a coward (or an 'old man') when I'm outside and it makes me feel idiotic.

Also, today my computer is doing weird stuff. Has been for a couple of days but today made me feel somehow mentally challenged.

My screen has frozen a couple of times and I've either had to shut down and reboot or turn off the electricity to the whole thing and turn it on again.

I know nothing about a computer except how to click and type. I'm a typist, not a computer user!

My little icon from Microsoft told me to download some updates and I did, hoping that would solve it all and make me feel like the magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, second in my class in seminary person that I know, deep down I am.

But that doesn't happen in the moment.

Walking on snow and ice reduces me to a coward. Working on my computer makes me feel profoundly stupid.

I don't like either feeling and need to deal with them instead of 'waiting for Spring' to go out walking and 'buying a new computer' for the other part.

I need to be bigger, stronger, smarter than my gait and my computer.

I'll ponder that and come up with a plan.

(I'll probably not mention it again, so don't wait for the finale....)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.