Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Zoom

 I have been on two Zoom calls in the last two days.

I wasn't even sure I could do it, but I did. A bit proud of myself, by the way.

It's much better than phone calls because you can see all the people and watch their faces. There were 18 or so of us, filling my computer screen and two folks who called in who were called by name on two black screens.

It was not the way I would choose to spend an afternoon from 3 until 5:30, but (and this is a compliment--not awful.)

I really care for all the people on zoom--some I have known for years and so just since the Forgiveness workshop in NY I wrote about earlier.

I'm not given much to do--either in the workshop or on the call today--since I haven't really been involved in designing the workshop. And that's fine. I enjoy watching the other leaders do their thing and learning from them.

And learning most of all from the participants.

The best way to be, I have learned over my life and almost 40 years of priesthood, is what I know from all my reading of mystery novels--the best way to learn what you need to know is to listen.

And I mean 'listening' like a commitment, not just like most 'listening' which is a time of silence composing what you intend to say next.

"Listening" is the key to life, if we do it correctly.

Clear your mind of proposed comments on what is being said and don't imagining what you would say in response. Just 'be in the moment' and 'listen'.

I promise you, it's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.