Friday, March 27, 2020

birds

There are sparrows who nest each spring in the vent that goes out of our downstairs bathroom.

I heard them today when I went into the bathroom. Their chatter gave me joy.

This afternoon, there were a flock of crows in the tall evergreens beside our back yard. A dozen or more.

"What is a group of crows called?" I asked Bern.

"A flock," she said, "isn't that what all groups of birds are called?"

I looked it up on line. A group of crows is called a 'murder of crows'. Though some people, not liking that, call them a "storytelling of crows".

Back to yesterday, Bern told me she saw at least a half dozen hawks over our yard. I looked that up too. A group of hawks is called a 'cast', an "aerie" or a "kettle" of hawks. I think I like "kettle" best.

And any number of birds are back in our yard. Spring must be coming.

The birdsongs are balm to my soul,.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.