One of the most heart-breaking videos I've seen of the world wide virus was a priest in Italy sprinkling holy water on dozens and dozens of coffins.
That will be the funeral for those people.
As an Episcopal Priest, I fully know how cathartic funerals can be for family and loved ones. When I was at St. John's in Waterbury for 21 years, we had dozens of people join the church after coming to a funeral there.
Funerals are one of the most important things a minister or rabbi or Imam can do is preside over a funeral.
Yet, all the people dying from Corona 19 will not have a funeral in the traditional sense. People cannot gather the way they do for funerals in most places.
And for good reason--stop the spread of the virus.
A mega-church pastor in Florida was arrested this week for having services with hundreds of people.
Good for Florida.
We are doing church on-line.
But how can you do a funeral on-line?
No chance for family and loved ones to touch the casket or the urn.
No chance to hug each other and mourn.
No chance to stand by a grave and say 'good-bye'.
No chance to find closure.
Yet another painful and isolating part of this pandemic.
No funeral for grandma.
Imagine the wrenching pain of that....
- At least a month to go
- non-Funerals in a time of pandemic
- So, another month
- surprise call
- On-line church tomorrow
- Staying at home
- Old stuff
- Not like waiting for Christmas
- Here's the sermon I'll preach on Sunday for Facebook
- no church
- morning birds and afternoon sunshine
- It's beginning to feel natural
- Biden is winning
- Definitely wierd
- Definitely not 'business as usual"
- A sermon I never preached
- The Sports World should be in charge of the country
- Doing my taxes
- Happy to be where I am
- I hate, hate, hate Daylight Savings Time
- Believe science and don't be traumatized
- I am surrounded by poetry
- Hold on, beloved
- From 2007
- from 2004
- ▼ March (27)
- ► 2019 (312)
- ► 2018 (248)
- ► 2017 (248)
- ► 2016 (291)
- ► 2015 (341)
- ► 2014 (346)
- ► 2013 (262)
- ► 2012 (120)
- ► 2011 (136)
- ► 2010 (204)