Sunday, July 18, 2021

Long day

Sunday is a long day for me.

Most days I don't get up until 9.

Sundays I have to be at Trinity, Milton, 35 or so minutes away by 9:30. So I set the alarm on my phone.

Tomorrow I have to get up early to go get a blood test.

Tuesday I have my zoom group at 9:45 and then I go to Milton to talk with whoever shows up--a couple of people said they would.

Wednesday, thankfully I can sleep in!

I can't remember when I started sleeping so late--but I'm glad I do. Many people my age have trouble sleeping, but not me.

And I have wondrous--if confusing--dreams, usually after I get up at 6:30 or so. At least that shows my age.

I haven't worked 10 hours a week for over a year. I was sending half my pay back during the pandemic.

So, I have to get used to two days a week of actually 'doing something'.

I hope I will.

I love that little church in Milton--though I wish there was more diversity there.

The three churches I served full-time weren't like that. St. James in Charleston, WV, was a black church. St. Paul's in New Haven had about 1/3 blacks. St. John's in Waterbury had a huge West Indian membership and so many Hispanics we had a Spanish priest to do their service.

Milton is, how can I say it?  White as white can be.

But I love them already though I'm not a month into being their priest.

When I took my 7 year job at the Middlesex Area Cluster Ministry--three little churches--the bishop asked me how it was.

"Bishop," I told him, "I'm not used to being around so many white people."

Each church had one Black person--but two of them were the church musicians!

I thank God every day that I had the experience of inter-racial worship.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.