Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Heart breaking

 I was in the grocery store yesterday when I saw an elderly woman coming out of an aisle. She practically had her head on the handle of the basket. I thought she was just watching to make sure no one else was coming.

But no. Her back was bent so her head was near her right shoulder. I should remember the name for such things, but I don't.

She was painful to watch. My back even started aching for her. So I tried to avoid her.

But sure enough, she ended up behind me in the checkout line.

But by then there was a man--her son?--with her.

He was so kind to her, asking if she needed to sit down and taking her groceries--quite a few of them--out of the cart for her.

I was upset with myself for trying not to see her after the first glance.

But it was so heart breaking.

I don't often pray about specific things--I usually meditate as my prayer--but on my way home I prayed for her, for her being bent, for whatever pain she must feel. And I gave a prayer of thanks for the kind man with her.

Praying helped me feel a bit better about myself as well.

Pray always for those less fortunate than you. And give thanks for those who seek to help them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.