Saturday, March 6, 2021

Today

Today I was with Ann, helping her lead the forgiveness workshop on zoom with 13 people in Ireland.

I was on from 12:30 to 3:30--a long time on zoom, but we had a 15 minute break and the people are wonderful, so fun and informative to be with.

I always learn something new when I'm with Irish folks. One thing that struck me today is how the Irish think 'modesty' is a high virtue.

One day in my Grandma Jones' house, my older cousin, Bradley Perkins was bragging about how good looking he was.

"Don't build yourself up, Brad," my grandmother said, "it just gives you further to fall."

She was a Sadler and her family was from somewhere in Ireland.

Modesty is also a trick--it makes people tell you you're better than you think you are.

That's the payoff for 'modesty'.

All 'virtues', in seems to me, have a trick in them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.