Friday, January 22, 2021

I'm an Episcopalian

I've been emailing back and forth with my son, who is a member of the Episcopal Cathedral in Baltimore, about how hard it is to bear the name "Christian" when so many so-called "Christians" supported the former president, even up to and including the seditious attack on the U.S. Capitol on the Feast of the Epiphany.

Wise men, who were of other faiths, came that day to worship the toddler Jesus and give him gifts.

Not so wise men and women, on the celebration of that day, came to desecrate the symbol of our democracy and called themselves 'christian'.

We Episcopalians need to make clear that we are not 'christians' like the Evangelicals who supported Trump or the 'christians' who stormed the Capitol.

Obviously, not all those shouting 'hang Pence!' were there a 'christians', but some were.

It's hard to be called a Christian with no distinction about 'which' Christians we are.

I am an Anglican Christian who believes the vote was, as many in the past administration said, the most valid vote ever.

I am an Anglican Christians who supports democracy and the rule of law and equal treatment for all people and the end to voter suppression.

I am an Anglican Christian who wants racism stamped out, poverty defeated, and all people welcomed into this country--that welcomed all of us, except native Americans--when we came from different lands.

That's the Christianity I'm called to.

Not the 'christianity' that continues to support discrimination and sedition.

Here I stand.

Stand with me.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Me

some ponderings by an aging white man who is an Episcopal priest in Connecticut. Now retired but still working and still wondering what it all means...all of it.